Wednesday, April 1, 2009

what a day...

Charlie had a very full day today. He started with a trip downstairs for an upper GI. The baby who will not latch onto a nipple for anything while up in the NICU sucked down a full 12cc's of barium like it was his job! Unfortunately, what they found from the procedure is that things are not moving out of his stomach as fast as they should and therefore, all the barium had to be pulled back out of his stomach through an OG tube. They are starting him on a round of erythtomycin (an antibiotic) which should jump start his stomach some how and make it work more efficiently.

Once he recovered from that - he was a mess with barium all over his face - he was finally resting nicely in mommy's arms when they showed up to do an ultasound of his belly. We have not gotten any results back yet, but I heard mention that they were looking at the gall bladder for some reason. We will see what comes of that.

THEN, Dr. Marr was back on today and is being a little more agressive with Charlie and his feeding issue. He is getting jaundice from being on the IV nutrition for so long and she wants to get him weaned from it ASAP. So, we took another trip downstairs this afternoon and had an NJ feeding tube put in. This tube goes from his nose, all the way through his stomach, and right into his intestines. He fought the nurses and technicians off in true Charlie fashion, but they managed to get it in eventually. His anatomy was a challenge as things are not exactly where one would expect them to be. They put it in with the help of x-ray some how. I think Charlie will be glowing by the time he gets home because of all the radiation he has been exposed to. It is very important that this tube stays put on his face because it is a rather involved process putting it in, so he is all taped up again. 

Needless to say, Charlie was pretty wiped out after today and he will probably sleep very well tonight. At least we hope he does! 


Tracy Meats said...

Hope things start to work with Charlie's stomach and the antibiotic does the trick. My son was on Reglan for almost 2 years to help his stomach empty as well as Prevacid to shut down the acid pumps. Many prayers that the NJ tube works and Charlie takes off with his feeds. CDH babies and feeding difficulties/issues are so frustrating and it takes time to work through them and of course on Charlie's time.

He in one cute boy!!

Tracy Meats - mom to Ian, born with a LCDH on 4/3/04 and WY and CO State Rep. for CHERUBS

Dee said...

Here's hoping for improvement daily for little Charlie!!! Love and prayers to you!! Dee

Monica said...

In this last picture he's like 'Sigh, I am so tried of this stupid tape on my face, honestly'. Hang in there cutie pie!